Frames on the wall are one of the favorite solutions of many designers. Make a gallery of family photos, and the atmosphere in the house will become warmer and more comfortable. Pick up pictures that are united by colors or themes, and you will bring style and mood to the interior. Do not forget that frames are also a win-win way to decorate boring bare walls that can be found in almost every apartment.
Basic principles of wall decor with frames
There is no standard scheme for the arrangement of frames on the wall. So, no one will forbid you to come up with your own unique version. But in any case, it does not hurt to first read the general tips and tricks. The rules will help you navigate the variety of schemes and prevent mistakes.
- Eye level. Place one or more images at eye level (a conditional line passing at eye level should divide the central photo or poster approximately in the middle). It is from this picture that you begin to plan the location of the collage on the wall. The eye level line can serve as an axis relative to which the elements of the composition are located. You can visualize this line using colored adhesive tape.
- Theme and style. Images must match the room in which they are located. In the dining room it is appropriate to use still lifes, in the nursery – a collage with cartoon characters, etc.
- Frame color and shape. The frame on the wall in the interior can harmonize in color or overlap in style with the furniture or textiles in the room. To avoid chaos, choose frames of the same color. In this case, the shape, type and thickness of the frame may vary.
- Frame shape and size. Small images look good with a passe-partout. The larger the photo, the simpler the frame should be. And if there are a lot of pictures, do not put them in wide frames.
- Lighting. If central lighting is not enough, organize additional lighting.
- “Rule of Three“. An odd number of posters, photos or paintings always looks better than an even number. However, there are many examples where two, four or six images look very organic on the wall.
- Principles of symmetry and balance. If you doubt that you can correctly arrange pictures or paintings in a chaotic order, hang them symmetrically. If symmetry seems boring, stick to the principle of balance. Mentally draw a line in the center of the composition. If there is a large photo on one side (left, right, top or bottom), it is advisable to balance it on the opposite side with several small ones.
Schemes and options for how to hang frames on the wall
So, we got close to the question of how to arrange the frames on the wall. We have selected 14 ideas for you and illustrated them with photographs.
Symmetry is a characteristic feature of a classic interior. To some, this option may seem too boring, but it is 100% working. Symmetrically arranged frames look extremely organized. Thus, you can hang just a couple of images, or a dozen or even more.
Frames can be placed symmetrically both relative to each other and relative to any object (center of symmetry).
Chaos and asymmetry
This is both the easiest and the most difficult way. It would seem that it could be easier than hanging photo frames on the wall in random order. But only organized chaos will look stylish. Approximately the same distance between images helps to maintain the integrity of perception.
This method is well suited for frames of different shapes and sizes. An asymmetrical gallery looks more dynamic and always leaves you free to increase the number of images.
Panel of a bizarre shape
You can group the frames so that you get a panel of a certain shape. One of the popular options is the heart. In this form, frames with family photos look great.
Also interesting is the idea of placing frames in a circle to make a clock. You can cut out the hands from decorative paper or buy a real clockwork in the store.
In one row
The arrangement of paintings and posters in one line may seem somewhat boring. Therefore, it is worth resorting to experimenting with color.
Simple shapes (square, rectangle)
Due to the clear lines, a rectangular or square panel looks quite advantageous. It will be especially good if the shape of the frame repeats the shape of the composition itself (for example, square frames for panels in the form of a square).
Collage of frames on the wall of the correct form (mosaic)
This option is similar to the previous one. Choose the shape of the finished composition (square or rectangle), and then place frames in this space, which can be of different sizes and even shapes.
The circular arrangement of frames on the wall usually suggests the presence of a central element. However, this is optional.
Decorating walls with frames does not always require you to take a drill in your hands and make holes for dowels. Favorite photos can simply be placed on the shelves. To prevent images from accidentally falling, choose shelves with special stops. You can experiment and arrange the frames not just one behind the other, but also overlap, especially if they have different sizes.
You can also decorate a narrow wall using frames. On a narrow wall, one vertical poster or several photos arranged vertically look great.
This method is good if you are thinking about how to hang frames on the wall along the stairs. Follow the slope, and you will be able to fill the empty space in an original way.
Garlands with clothespins
Don’t want to drill into walls? Order a frame and stretch a fishing line or ribbons inside it, and then fix the photo frames with decorative clothespins. In this case, it is better to use cardboard frames so that the structure can withstand the weight of all the exhibits.
With vinyl stickers
Do not treat vinyl stickers as an attribute exclusively for a child’s room. Yeah, many of them are really very bright and colorful. However, among them you can find monochrome options that will be appropriate in the living room and bedroom. Most often, a sticker in the form of a tree is used to place photo frames on the wall.
Above the door
Don’t like too high ceilings? You can visually lower them by placing several frames with a photo above the doorway. This solution is not used very often, however, it has the right to exist.
On the corner
We often forget that corners can be designed in an unusual way. But both the internal corners within the same room and the joint between adjacent rooms can turn into a masterpiece if you show a little imagination. Pay attention to the symmetrical arrangement of the photo, as well as the ability to “bend” the picture so that its parts are on different.